Curb appeal is the attractiveness of your self-storage property and its surroundings from the street view. When enhanced, it can attract new tenants and help you maintain current ones. In fact, the appearance of your property is a key component to growing and sustaining your business. Here are a few easy ways to improve curb appeal at your facility and provide a more inviting experience for customers.
- Maintain a manicured appearance by mowing the lawn, keeping the edges trimmed, and sweeping or blowing clippings from your property.
- Trim shrubs to keep overgrowth down and ensure they don't hide the facility or signage from view.
- Planting flowers around signage or the property entrance and placing potted flowers by the office door adds an inviting touch and a pop of color.
- Regularly spray or pull weeds.
- The mailbox should look new, with the street number big enough to be visible from the street. You might also consider placing a street number on the property road sign.
Routine maintenance will cut costs in the long run and aid in sustaining the appearance of your building. Here are a few simple to-do items:
- Keep gutters clear of debris.
- Pressure-wash dirt and grime away.
- Add a fresh coat of paint when peeling or cracking occurs.
- If possible, cover HVAC units, trash cans or dumpsters with fencing or lattice to hide them from street view.
- Clean office doors and windows regularly. If windows are large, think about hiring a professional cleaning service.
- If the asphalt is in good condition, seal-coating every three to five years will lengthen the life of your drive aisles. It’ll also give your facility a fresh appearance.
- Consider patching potholes or cracks in the asphalt for a smooth pathway.
- Bollards should be painted when necessary, or consider adding slipcovers, which come in a variety of colors. Replace any broken bollards.
- Check the property lighting frequently. It’s important to replace all non-working bulbs immediately.
- Consider changing bulbs or damaged fixtures to LED lighting, which can enhance brightness and safety and will pay for itself over time in energy-savings.
Help Them Choose You
The saying “You only get one chance to make a first impression” has never been truer than in the self-storage industry. The current market offers prospective tenants a multitude of choices for storing their cherished belongings. Improving your property’s curb appeal can make a big impact on whether a potential tenant walks through your door or goes to a competitor.
Michelle Dean is a senior regional manager for Absolute Storage Management Inc., which operates 116 properties in 15 states. Founded in 2002 and headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., it has regional offices in Atlanta; Charlotte, N.C.; Jackson, Miss.; and Nashville, Tenn. For more information, call 901.737.7336.; visit www.absolutemgmt.com.