Inside Self-Storage magazine today released its 2011 Top-Operators List, ranking 100 of the self-storage industry's foremost operators based on total net-rentable square footage. The list, now available at InsideSelfStorage.com, ranks dozens of facility and brand owners, independents, developers and property-management companies. The data also features number of locations and units, expansion plans and contact information.
The top five self-storage companies participating in the survey include:
1. Public Storage Inc., Glendale, Calif. Founded in 1972, the storage operator owns and operates 2,233 facilities in 39 states. The company’s total square footage is 139 million
2. Extra Space Storage. The Salt Lake City company was founded in 1977. It currently operates 821 facilities with a total square footage of 59 million.
3. Phoenix-based U-Haul International Inc. Founded in 1945, U-Haul is one of the oldest companies in the industry. The company currently owns 1,110 facilities across the nation.
4. Founded in 2004, U-Store-It Trust of Wayne, Pa., has 29 million square feet of self-storage space in 470 facilities in 29 states.
5. Sovran Self Storage Inc., Buffalo, N.Y. Founded in 1982, the company has nearly 25 million square feet of self-storage space in 377 facilities.
The ISS Top-Operators list is featured in the April issue of Inside Self-Storage magazine, and is available online now at www.insideselfstorage.com. To find list, click on “Industry Directories” in the navigation bar. To ensure consideration for the 2012 Top-Operators List, complete the online form at http://topoperators.insideselfstorage.com/BGWebForm_login.asp?gid=12.
ISS is a dynamic-services company that provides resources and services to the self-storage industry including a monthly magazine, bi-annual tradeshows, an information-packed website, several e-newsletters, and educational seminars and materials. ISS is also the owner of the Self-Storage Training Institute (www.selfstorageeducation.com), an online education portal for managers and owners, and Self-Storage Talk (www.selfstoragetalk.com), the industry’s largest online community.