The Florida Self Storage Association (FSSA) will bring together 100 self-storage facility owners and developers on Oct. 5 for its annual Executive Retreat. The event is designed to be a think tank, where industry professionals can meet to exchange ideas. Guest speakers from inside and outside the storage industry will discuss their business successes, challenges and creative ideas.
This years event will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and be held at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, Fla.
Guest speakers include:
- Dale A. Brill, president of the Florida Chamber Foundation. The organization is the research and policy development arm of the Florida Chamber of Commerce.
- Paul Voss, CEO of Arête Leadership Group and a professor at Georgia State University. Voss is a published author and appears frequently on television. His executive leadership clients include The Home Depot, Cox Communications and American Express, among others.
- Karl Haas, chief operating officer at Extra Space Storage. Haas joined Extra Space in July 2005 and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the companys nearly 900 self-storage properties.
- Chris Oakley, vice president and regional executive for the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. The bank serves the Sixth Federal Reserve District, covering Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee. It is one of the 12 regional reserve banks that comprise the Federal Reserve System, along with the Board of Governors in Washington, D.C.
- Brad Hunter, chief economist at MetroStudy. The organization works with developers and investment firms. Hunter supervises the companys multi-market studies and has orchestrated hundreds of site-specific and area-specific housing market studies. He also oversees the companys private-equity and hedge-fund consulting practice.
The night before the Executive Retreat, the FSSA will host a fundraiser for Kure It Cancer Research from 8 to 10 p.m. Kure Its mission is to raise awareness and research dollars for underfunded cancers. Since 2007, the organization has raised more than $1 million for research. Kure It was founded by Barry Hoeven, executive chairman of Westport Properties, which operates more than 30 self-storage facilities under the name US Storage Centers.
The FSSA is a nonprofit organization of businesspeople involved in the self-storage industry in Florida. Its members include facility owners, operators, vendors, developers, investors, property managers and suppliers.
- Florida Self Storage Association: Website