Inside Self-Storage (ISS) has released its 2012 Top-Operators List, ranking 100 of the self-storage industry's leading operators based on total net-rentable square footage. The list includes facility and brand owners, independents and property-management companies. The data also features number of locations and units, expansion plans and contact information.
The top five self-storage companies participating in the survey include:
1. Public Storage Inc. Founded in 1972 and based in Glendale, Calif., Public Storage owns and operates 2,064 facilities. The companys total square footage is 131 million.
2. Extra Space Storage. The Salt Lake City company was founded in 1977. It currently operates 882 facilities with a total square footage of 64.5 million.
3. U-Haul International Inc. Founded in 1945 and based in Phoenix, U-Haul is one of the oldest companies in the industry. The company currently owns 1,144 facilities across the nation, totaling more than 38 million square feet.
4. CubeSmart. Founded in 2004, CubeSmart of Wayne, Pa., has 34.5 million square feet of self-storage space in 477 facilities.
5. Sovran Self Storage Inc. Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Buffalo, N.Y., Sovran has 30 million square feet of self-storage space in 451 facilities.
The ISS Top-Operators list is featured in the October issue of ISS magazine and is available online at www.insideselfstorage.com/bg/Top-Ops-Guide.aspx.
To be considered for the 2013 list, self-storage operators can complete the online form at http://topoperators.insideselfstorage.com/BGWebForm_login.asp?gid=12.
For more than 20 years, ISS has provided informational resources and services to the self-storage industry including a monthly magazine, annual conferences and tradeshows, and an extensive website. ISS is also the owner of the Self-Storage Training Institute, an online education portal for managers and owners; Self-Storage Talk, the industrys largest online community; and the ISS Store, a website for on-demand education and insight.