Fires. Lawsuits. Floods. Theft. Data breach. These are a just a few of the many risks self-storage operators face today. Any one of them could be devastating to your business, causing a decline in revenue, damaging your reputation or even leading to facility closure. Understanding your company’s vulnerabilities and how to diminish them is vital.
Get keen insight on how to keep tenants, staff, guests, buildings and equipment out of harm’s way by attending the Inside Self-Storage World Expo, July 21-24, at The Mirage Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The show’s seminars, workshops and other events will provide the education and partnerships you need to keep your operation on a safe path.
Identify the Dangers
Part of being a great self-storage operator is assessing possible risk and doing everything you can to avoid it. If you’re unsure what threats could be lurking around your asset, you’ll find plenty of guidance on this year’s agenda. To begin, here are a few seminars in our six-track education program to add to your “must attend” list:
- You Might Need a Self-Storage Lawyer if… [Operations Track]
- Don’t Lien on Me: Avoiding Self-Storage Auctions, What to Do When You Can’t [Operations Track]
- Survivor, Self-Storage Edition: Thriving in an Increasingly Saturated Market [Operations Track]
- Checks and Balances: Site Auditing for Self-Storage Success [Leadership Track]
- Legacy and Succession Planning for Family Self-Storage Businesses [Investing Track]
There are also two risk-related workshops you can’t afford to miss. Industry legal expert Scott Zucker will present his four-hour Advanced Legal Workshop on July 21, addressing the obligations of facility operators and how to avoid liability. On July 24, the team at MiniCo Insurance will join forces with seasoned facility managers to present the all new Risk Management Workshop. The four-hour session will address insurance coverages and claims, cybercrime, general crime prevention, facility safety, disaster planning and response, and more.
Discuss Your Options
One of the best elements of the ISS World Expo is it provides ample opportunities for you to learn from experts and peers. This year’s show offers three networking events where you can ask questions and share knowledge in the risk-management arena:
- The Table Talks on July 22 provide a relaxed atmosphere in which to exchange information. Each of the approximately 40 tables will be led by an industry expert. It’s a chance to discuss an array of hot topics, including those focused on safety, insurance and more.
- Get your risk- and security-related questions answered in the Self-Storage Q&A Sessions on July 23. There are three from which to choose: Investing & Development, Management & Operation and Technology & Security. Each will be led by two well-seasoned veterans, who’ll stimulate discussion and take inquiries on any and all industry-related topics.
- The always popular Self-Storage Legal Q&A With Jeffrey Greenberger also returns on July 23. Open to all attendees and exhibitors, this open-forum Q&A allows you to ask your most pressing legal queries.
Build Your Backup Team
In addition to all the education, the ISS World Expo provides access to the people and products you need on your journey to reducing your business risk. The exhibit hall, open on July 22 and 23, will feature more than 200 exhibitors who’ll be able to help you put safeguards in place. You can meet them and learn more about security systems, data security, locks, live and online auctions, plus all kinds of insurance, from business policies to tenant insurance and protection plans.
Many self-storage operators are unaware of the exposures they face every day until they speak with colleagues and experts at a live event. Join us at the 2020 show and get insight on the hazards you may encounter but, more important, how to prevent and survive them. Learn more about the show’s risk-management education and networking events, plus view a complete list of exhibitors and speakers at issworldexpo.com.