The self-storage industry has enjoyed unprecedented development over the past few years, with scores of operators expanding their portfolios and new investors joining the ranks. With this growth comes design innovations, zoning challenges and new construction techniques. Creating a blueprint for project success has never been more critical.
The Inside Self-Storage World Expo, April 3-6, at the Paris Hotel & Resort in Las Vegas, can help you draft your plans and build your business. With 45 seminars, eight workshops, six networking opportunities and nearly 200 exhibitors, you’ll find the tools you need to profitably develop and construct a self-storage facility in today’s competitive climate.
Sketch a Plan
The seminar-track education program includes a dedicated Building Track on April 4 to guide you in your development and construction efforts. Sessions include:
- Self-Storage Site Layout for Maximum ROI and Minimum Headaches: Get insight to designing a successful layout. Topics include where to locate large and climate-controlled units, when to go vertical, and proper placement of the office, gate and keypads.
- Design Principles for Urban-Infill Self-Storage Projects: Standards are changing, and developers must embrace them to gain zoning approval. This session will offer strategies for applying urban design to self-storage.
- Conversions: The Self-Storage Industry’s Diamond in the Rough: With an abundance of vacant sites, conversions have become the go-to development project for many new owners. Learn how to spot the right site, plan your budget and what to expect during the transformation.
- Building Self-Storage in Small Secondary and Tertiary Markets: Many smaller markets are now being targeted for development. Find out the pros and cons to these markets, unit-mix and building-type strategies, and how to make a smaller site a financially viable project.
Those looking for a deeper dive into the subject of building should attend the popular Development Workshops, which have been expanded this year to include even more content. The two, four-hour events on April 3 will be led by a panel of industry experts.
- “Development Workshop: Planning Phase,” at 8 a.m., will open with a discussion of national development activity and overbuilding, then drills down on vital topics such as site selection and feasibility, the key members of the development and construction team, site layout and unit mix, and the zoning and approvals process.
- “Development Workshop: Building Phase,” at 1 p.m., will address traditional and multi-story construction, conversion projects, renovations, and site expansion. The presenters will also discuss building components and materials, construction methods, pitfalls to avoid, and more.
Contract With Strong Partners
Whether you’re ready to draw up blueprints or need a building manufacturer for your project, you’ll find potential partners in the ISS Exhibit Hall on April 4 and 5. The event’s nearly 200 suppliers represent all facets of the development and construction industry, including architects, building and component manufacturers, renovation experts, and general contractors.
Many vendors will have samples of their products in their booths, including roll-up doors, hallway systems, lighting configurations and more. As in years past, Trachte Building Systems will erect an actual self-storage structure inside the hall. The 20-by-30 booth will include a typical storage unit, partial roof demonstrating the company’s “no fasteners over the storage units” design, and a portion of a storage corridor.
Not only can you get a better look at new products in the market, many exhibits will have freebies on hand. Forge Building Co., for example, plans to raffle a $200 Bass Pro Shop gift card and give away other items including golf T-shirts, pens and contractor pencils. Come on down and grab some swag!
Whether you’re considering self-storage for the first time, seeking insight to building specifics or vetting suppliers, the ISS World Expo has the education, connections and opportunities you require to succeed. To register or learn more about the education tracks, seminars and speakers, visit www.issworldexpo.com.