Here are some quick and easy steps you can take to ensure your self-storage office is doing its part for Mother Earth:
- Exchange regular light bulbs for compact fluorescent light bulbs. Add motion lighting, timers and dimmers wherever possible.
- Recycle cans and plastic bottles.
- When looking for new office equipment, check consignment stores. Not only can you find bargains, the furniture is typically barely worn.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows.
- When it comes time to upgrade computers, recycle. Also, use the computer’s power-save mode and turn off power strips at the end of the day to conserve electricity.
- Reduce paper use by creating electronic training manuals. Use both sides of the paper for self-storage contracts. Recycle paper or shred it and sell it to customers as packing material.
- Purchase a thermostat timer to keep the office at a set temperature.
- Ask customers to recycle gently used boxes and moving materials at your site.
- Keep a list of charities on hand so tenants can donate items rather than throw them away.
To make your own Earth-friendly cleaning products, try these recipes:
Windows: Spray with undiluted white vinegar or mix of one cup of vinegar with one cup of water, then wipe clean with a newspaper or paper towel. Avoid streaks by cleaning windows on cloudy days.
Countertops: Try a vinegar and water mixture or add four tablespoons of baking soda to one quart of water. Spray, then wipe clean.
Carpet stains: Soak area with club soda, then dab with a clean, white towel. Use baking soda to deodorize carpet.
Pests: To kill aphids on outdoor roses, mix 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda per pint of water and apply every seven days. To deter ants, wipe counters with vinegar, and then sprinkle dried peppers into the places where they enter. Keep roaches out by spreading bay leaves on shelves and in crevices where they enter from the outside.
A Green Future for Self-Storage: Getting on the Eco-Bandwagon
Green Building in Self-Storage: Sustainability and Environmentally Friendly Options
Insuring Your Green Self-Storage Facility
Alternative Building Methods for Self-Storage
Rabco President Owens Receives LEED Professional Accreditation
Green Apple Group to Develop Marketing Strategies for Green and Sustainable Building