Man Burned in Explosion Inside Santee, CA, Self-Storage Unit

A 47-year-old man suffered second-degree burns on Nov. 29 when fuel vapors from the truck he was working on inside a Santee, Calif., self-storage unit ignited and caused a small explosion. The incident happened just after noon when the man turned on a small air compressor to inflate the vehicle’s airbags, according to John Sengebusch, battalion chief for the Santee Fire Department.

A 47-year-old man suffered second-degree burns on Nov. 29 when fuel vapors from the truck he was working on inside a Santee, Calif., self-storage unit ignited and caused a small explosion. The incident happened just after noon when the man turned on a small air compressor to inflate the vehicle’s airbags, according to John Sengebusch, battalion chief for the Santee Fire Department.

The flash explosion burned the man on his back and left arm, Sengebusch told the source. He was taken by ambulance to UC San Diego Medical Center.

The explosion also blew down six walls and damaged two roll-up doors at the Extra Space Storage facility 10115 Mission Gorge Road, west of Cottonwood Avenue. It didn’t ultimately cause a fire, and the victim’s 1993 Chevy truck wasn’t damaged, Sengebusch said.

Sources:

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish