Inside Self-Storage (ISS) has released its 2009 Top-Operators List highlighting 100 of the nation’s most successful multi-facility self-storage operators. This annual who’s-who of the self-storage industry ranks operations by total net-rentable square footage and includes data regarding number of locations, number of units, expansion plans and contact information for each participant. Data is collected from real estate investment trusts, franchises, independents, developers and property-management companies.
The complete list will be published in the April issue of ISS magazine and is available online now at www.insideselfstorage.com (choose “Top-Operators List” on the top menu). The top five self-storage companies on the 2009 list are:
- Public Storage Inc. of Glendale, Calif. Founded in 1972, the company owns 2,196 facilities across the country.
- Extra Space Storage of Salt Lake City. Founded in 1977, it operates 684 facilities with a total square footage of 50 million.
- U-Haul International Inc. of Phoenix. Founded in 1945, U-Haul is one of the oldest operators in the industry. The company has 1,073 facilities in 50 states.
- U-Store-It Trust of Wayne, Pa. Founded in 2004, the company operates nearly 25 million square feet of self-storage space.
- Sovran Self Storage Inc. of Buffalo, N.Y. Founded in 1982, the company operates 359 facilities.
ISS is a dynamic-services company that provides resources and services to the self-storage industry including a monthly magazine, bi-annual tradeshows, an information-packed website and educational seminars and materials. ISS is also the owner of the Self-Storage Training Institute (www.selfstorageeducation.com), an online education portal for managers and owners, and Self-Storage Talk (www.selfstoragetalk.com), the industry’s largest online community.