Inside Self-Storage magazine has released its 2010 Top-Operators List, ranking 100 of the self-storage industry's foremost operators based on total net-rentable square footage. The list, now available in a downloadable PDF, ranks dozens of facility and brand owners, independents, developers and property-management companies. The data also features number of locations and units, expansion plans and contact information.
The top five self-storage companies participating in this year's survey are:
- Public Storage Inc.—Founded in 1972, the Glendale, Calif.-based storage operator owns 2,197 facilities in 39 states.
- Extra Space Storage—The Salt Lake City-based company was founded in 1977. It operates 760 facilities with a total square footage of 55 million.
- U-Haul International Inc.—Founded in 1945, U-Haul is one of the oldest companies in the industry. The Phoenix-based company owns 1,073 facilities nationwide.
- Sovran Self Storage Inc.—Founded in 1982, the Buffalo, N.Y.-based company has nearly 25 million square feet of self-storage in 381 facilities.
- U-Store-It Trust—Founded in 2004, this Wayne, Pa., company has 24 million square feet of self-storage space in 375 facilities throughout 27 states.
The ISS Top-Operators list is featured in the April print edition of ISS magazine and is available online now at www.insideselfstorage.com/ebooks. Any company wishing to be considered for the 2011 list should complete the online form at www.insideselfstorage.com/top_ops_form.
ISS is a dynamic-services company that provides resources and services to the self-storage industry including a monthly magazine, bi-annual tradeshows, an information-packed website and educational seminars and materials. ISS is also the owner of the Self-Storage Training Institute (www.selfstorageeducation.com), an online education portal for managers and owners, and Self-Storage Talk (www.selfstoragetalk.com), the industry’s largest online community.