U-Haul International recently purchased eight self-storage facilities and celebrated the grand opening of another. The facilities total more than 439,825 square feet of net rentable space in more than 3,800 storage units and 36 vehicle-parking spaces.
The acquired facilities are in Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, North Dakota and Rhode Island. The grand opening was in Michigan. No financial terms were disclosed.
The new facilities are:
- 1256 How Lane, New Brunswick, N.J.—The former Mini U Storage is on a 12.4-acre lot. It includes 10 single-story self-storage buildings offering more than 588 units, 64 of which are climate-controlled. It comprises more than 77,055 square feet of net rentable space.
- 1801 N. 21st St., Newark, N.J. —The property includes two single-story self-storage buildings with more than 112 units, comprising more than 16,200 square feet of net rentable space. Formerly J&D Storage, the facility has indoor and drive-up units.
- 610 N. 42nd St., Fargo, N.D. —The property includes six single-story self-storage buildings offering 211 drive-up storage units. It’s comprised of 29,654 square feet of net rental space. The property was purchased from BTE Rentals & Storage.
- 5523 53rd Ave. S. and a 3.67-acre adjacent parcel, Fargo, N.D. —The self-storage property includes one office building and six single-story buildings with 229 units, five of which are climate-controlled. It is comprised of 46,520 square feet of net rental space. The storage facility and adjacent parcel were also purchased from BTE Rentals & Storage.
- 110 Lewiston St., Fall River, Mass. —Situated on a 4.7-acre lot, the property includes one office building and 10 single-story self-storage buildings offering 618 units, 264 of which are climate-controlled. It includes 65,450 square feet of net rental space.
- 99 Rockford Ave., New Bedford, Mass. —Purchased from Storage Center New Bedford, the self-storage facility includes one four-story building with 557 climate-controlled units and 52,880 square feet of net rental space.
- 8525 Oso Blanca Road, Las Vegas—Formerly Storage One, the property includes one three-story self-storage building with 730 units, 675 of which are climate-controlled, and 36 RV, vehicle or boat spaces. It comprises 77,055 square feet of net rental space.
- 35 Oxford St., Providence, R.I. —The self-storage facility includes one four-story, one two-story and two single-story buildings that offer more than 755 units comprising more than 75,011 square feet of net rentable space.
In addition to the recent acquisitions, U-Haul celebrated the opening of a facility in Detroit. The ribbon-cutting ceremony at 899 W. Baltimore St. took place on Sept. 26. The event included photo opportunities, a Vine video lounge, and refreshments catered by El Guapo Fresh Mexican Grill and The Mac Shack food trucks.
During the grand opening, U-Haul shared information about its alliance with The Conservation Fund, an organization that works with communities to balance economic and environmental goals, and the Greening of Detroit, a nonprofit resource agency that spearheads tree-planting projects and offers environmental education.
Donations from U-Haul and its customers to The Conservation Fund's Go Zero program will support the planting of 1,600 trees at Rouge Park over the next 18 months. The initiative kicked off on Sept. 28 with the planting of 300 trees by The Greening of Detroit and its army of volunteers.
U-Haul also established the Growing Detroit's Green Economy Fund, a grant program aimed at supporting green entrepreneurs. It will be administered by The Conservation Fund.
Established in 1945, U-Haul has 36 million square feet of storage space at more than 1,000 owned and managed facilities throughout North America.