The Florida Self Storage Association (FSSA) will host a webinar that will help self-storage operators manage their facility revenue, June 18, 2-3 p.m. EST. Presented by Matthew Van Horn, vice president of operations for Cutting Edge Self Storage Management, the event will teach facility owners and managers about unit pricing and strategies as well as how to understand their market, how to train staff in revenue management and more. Topics to be covered include:
- Why self-storage operators need revenue management
- Preferred facility occupancy levels
- How often to raise rates and by how much
- The psychology of pricing
- How the largest self-storage companies manage their rates
- Understanding the market and competitors
- The importance of competition studies and how to conduct one
- How to get facility managers on board with revenue management
- Ways to incent managers
- Understanding facility financials
- Pricing strategies including online, tiered and location-based
- Creating a unique selling proposition
- Facility drive-by and curb appeal
- Having a marketing plan
Cutting Edge is a full-service company specializing in facility management, feasibility studies, consulting, development, and joint ventures. Van Horn, a board member of the FSSA, was hired by Cutting Edge in 2001 and promoted to the company’s East Coast regional vice president of operations in 2002. He specializes in site operations and has managed, consulted or performed feasibility studies for facilities in nine states.
Van Horn is a regular contributor to the Inside Self-Storage magazine and website as well as the Inside Self-Storage World Expo, which takes place each spring in Las Vegas. His articles can be read at www.insideselfstorage.com/topics/matthew-van-horn.aspx. Videos of educational sessions presented by Van Horn can be previewed and purchased at www.insideselfstoragestore.com (type "Van Horn" in the search box).
The FSSA is a nonprofit organization of businesspeople involved in the self-storage industry in Florida. Its members include facility owners, operators, vendors, developers, investors, property managers and suppliers.