Metroplex Self Storage in Colleyville, Texas, was evacuated yesterday after 275 gallons of sulfuric acid spilled inside the facility and ran onto a roadway. A small amount also reportedly trickled into a storm drain. One man was injured, suffering burns to his hands and feet.
Industrial Boulevard, which runs adjacent to the facility, was closed yesterday afternoon as hazardous-materials workers used clay to contain the spill and absorb the acid. Officials blamed a damaged valve for the incident.
The acid reportedly had a 93 percent concentration. Sulfuric acid is widely used in manufacturing, including the production of fertilizers, making other chemicals like hydrochloric acid, and synthetic detergents. It can pose a health risk if inhaled, ingested or when in contact with skin or eyes. Symptoms include skin irritation and burns, pulmonary edema, bronchitis and emphysema, according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
Metroplex Self Storage operates six facilities in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area.