- Sustainable Construction Materials: Using renewable materials, clean supplies and super-low emissions processes and green-material innovations.
- Energy Positive: Creating more energy than used by such means as solar, wind, geo-thermal, rain-driven, hydro-electric or techniques yet to be developed.
- Carbon Negative: Using green roofs, walls and parking areas, carbon-absorbing ponds and designs to decrease greenhouse-gas emissions.
- Wildlife/Natural-Habitat-Friendly: Helping the industry promote and sustain the natural habitat of the surrounding environment.
- New Conveniences and Amenities: Improving the customer experience and adding design elements that help the customer and environment.
- Smart Functions: Creating and adding new technologies or tools to make using and managing storage properties easier and more efficient.
- Bottom-Line Results: Generating cost analyses and return-on-investment guidelines to demonstrate profit created by shifting to green building and design.
- Re-Used and Recycled Materials: Using old materials to do new things.
- Gray Water Solutions: Re-using waste water to everyone's benefit.
Interested parties should post their ideas and designs to their own website, and then send an e-mail indicating their intention to enter the Challenge to StorageMart Spokesperson Tron Jordheim at email@example.com, putting “green building” in the subject field. The e-mail should include a well-written, 200- to 400-word proposal summary of the idea, including the web address where the submission can be viewed in its entirety.
If accepted, the submission will be forwarded to a panel of judges, with a notification sent to the participant. At that time, the contestant must post a note with his online design indicating it has been submitted to the StorageMart Build It Green Design Challenge, including a prominent link to promote the contest. He may also advertise the design’s inclusion through other avenues, subject to approval by StorageMart management. Logos and links will be provided by the company.
Design entries will be promoted through StorageMart websites and blogs, industry press releases and national media outlets. They will also be publicized at the Inside Self-Storage Las Vegas Expo, Feb. 5-8, 2008, the industry’s largest conference and tradeshow, as well as the Self Storage Association’s fall 2008 convention. StorageMart will announce up to three winners for each of the entry categories in October 2008.