By Denise Michaels
What do reality star Kim Kardashian, investor mogul Warren Buffett and super attorney Gloria Allred have in common (besides money)? Theyre all media darlings. When they want the world to know what theyre doing, people listen. When they have a new offering or want you to know about something theyre doing, the headlines flash, video cameras roll and, within hours, everyone knows what they want us to know about them. Wouldnt it be great to have that same ability to command headlines and tell people about your self-storage businesswithout the paparazzi, the need for rehab or some other embarrassing incident?
Knowing how to build your platform of fans and customers is an essential part of creating a business people will notice this year and beyond. Its how books become No. 1 on the bestsellers lists, how bloggers with a business drive sales into hyperspace, or how products like the Missoni line of designer fashions at Target are snapped up and sell out in a few hours. Below are seven secrets to help you get noticed and be seen as influential when you want to get the word out about your self-storage business.
1. Your presence on social-networking platforms is essential. Connect with the movers and shakers who you want to know you. You can add comments, start a group of followers or develop a fan page. Dont know what to say? Share what youre doing in a compelling way. Theres only one degree of separation with social networking. Post daily and build a fan base.
2. Conduct business with integrity and honestynot for a quick buck. In this new era of citizen media, disgruntled customers can spin out of control and destroy your reputation faster than you can say Twitter. Trust is critical to your success in the post-Bernie Madoff environment. Take care of customers and let them go online with a positive story about your business, not a negative one.
3. Get comfortable with media including radio, television, print and online sources. Surprisingly, radio is an unsung hero because you have an opportunity to tell listeners how to connect with you. Print can be powerful, too. Professional trade journals are usually crying out for fresh articles for their eager readers. If youre uncomfortable with this strategy, remember that every day you own a business is like the biggest kick-butt seminar youll ever attend. Be willing to stretch.
4. Tap into public speaking. This is great way to position yourself as an expert or an authority in your field. The minute you stand in front of a room full of people youre automatically seen as an expert. Develop a sense of humor or at least memorize a few jokes. People are more open to new ideas right after a good chuckle. If speaking makes you uncomfortable consider joining a Toastmasters International group for practice and constructive support.
5. Discover ways to keep up your energy level or chi. You can work 24/7 and never get everything done. Learn to delegate things to others who are better suited and love to do the tasks you dont have to do. Building up your success only to crash and burn a year or two later is no fun.
6. Use short videos to share helpful tips and ideas about your expertise and how you help customers. Or tell people about exciting events coming up in your self-storage business. Dont be afraid to share your successes when they happen. Let your enthusiasm and passion for what you love shine. Upload them to a platform like YouTube and share them all over the Web.
7. Share your story of success. Do this in a way thats emotionally compelling and helps people relate to you and what youre all about. If youre a positive person, generally you want to forget the tough times. But thats where your ideal customer is at right now, in need of your product or service. Theres a way to craft your story so you come across as a person who has overcome obstacles and who can relate to their concerns now.
These seven keys provide the broad brushstrokes to becoming an overnight sensation. Of course, an overnight sensation is really a person whos worked hard for years, and then it appears they suddenly burst upon the scene. When you harness and leverage these secrets, youll be well on your way to commanding the influence and positive attention that will help your business grow successfully.
Author Denise Michaels offers a workshop, Occupy Your Life NOW! and teaches business owners ways to embrace the skills to become influential and an overnight sensation. For more information, visit www.denisemichaels.com.