Crazy Tuesday Is Coming! Is Your Self-Storage Facility Prepared?
By Tron Jordheim
The day after Memorial Day has been dubbed “Crazy Tuesday” in the self-storage industry. It’s the storage equivalent of Black Friday. People are moving over Memorial Day weekend, students are leaving colleges and universities, and others are doing spring cleaning. For whatever reason, all of these people want to look for a storage unit on Crazy Tuesday.
Memorial Day weekend is big for truck rental and moving companies, too. It represents the start of their busy season and it starts with a big bang. On Crazy Tuesday in 2011, StorageMart had its busiest day for website visits, and PhoneSmart had its busiest day of the year for phone calls. With the way call volume is already building and since Memorial Day falls pretty late in the month, expect Crazy Tuesday to come in alike a blast.
Here are some things self-storage operators can do to get ready:
- Schedule heavy for the whole week and weekend after Memorial Day. Get extra people on site to help with the traffic.
- Offer special deals to people who move in the week before Memorial Day to spread out some of the traffic. Plus, this ensures these potential tenants don’t rent somewhere else if you’re too busy to handle their lease during Memorial Day weekend or on Crazy Tuesday.
- Clean out and prepare more units than you think you’ll need. If you get really busy you won’t have time to stop and prepare more units for rental.
- Put a smile on your face. Just because you’ll feel busier than a busy bee, don’t let your customers know you’re stressing out.
- Enjoy the business. You’ll be glad for the occupancy and the revenue.
Tron Jordheim is the director of PhoneSmart, an off-site sales force serving self-storage owners for more than 10 years. For more information, visit www.phone-smart.info.
- Self-Storage Operators Can Make Money by Helping Business Customers Save It
- W. P. Carey REIT Affiliate Acquires 5 Self-Storage Properties for $32M
- Planning Commission Rejects Revised Plan for Self-Storage Project in Vallejo, CA
- Budget Self Storage of Brandon, FL, Collects Goods for Human-Trafficking Survivors
- Self-Storage Real Estate Firm Midcoast Properties Hires New Broker