Inside Self-Storage World Expo Kicks Off Today in Las Vegas
The Inside Self-Storage World Expo opened today in Las Vegas with a bang. Today’s opening session featured a panel of self-storage heavy-hitters who discussed the industry’s status, online marketing, acquisitions and more.
Led by industry veteran Jim Chiswell of Chiswell & Associates, the industry experts included Cris Burnam of StorageMart, Jack Rogers of Sovran Self Storage Inc., Carol Shipley of CubeSmart, Daniel Elefante of Platinum Storage Group, and Jim Stevens of Extra Space Storage. Two key messages emerged from the discussion. First, self-storage is a successful investment and operators are beginning to see better occupancy numbers and rental rates. “The industry is poised for a lot of growth and consolidation, and great things are coming,” Rogers said.
The second hot topic was the Internet and how it’s rapidly changing the way operators attract and interact with their customers. “If you’re just realizing the Internet is king, you’re behind the pack already,” Shipley told the crowd of about 300 expo attendees.
I’ll have more on the opening session, plus all the show details in Friday’s show wrap-up.
The education tracks continue today until 4 p.m. Then, comes two popular ISS Expo offerings—Self-Storage Q&A, where attendees can interact with industry experts in a conversational setting, and the Roundtable Discussions. Expo education tracks continue tomorrow from 8 a.m. to noon. The exhibit hall will be open Thursday from noon until 5 p.m., and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon. Registration is still available on site.
Check the ISS website this week for more show details or follow the action on Self-Storage Talk or the ISS Twitter feed, SelfStorageMag.
- Unearthing Hidden Treasure at the 2015 Inside Self-Storage World Expo
- Self-Storage Developer Proposes ‘Unit-Inspection Fees’ to Offset Low Sales-Tax Revenue in Prospect Heights, IL
- Decomposing Infant Remains Found in Auctioned Unit at Sierra Self Storage in Colfax, CA
- Proposed Zoning Change Could Prevent ezStorage Self-Storage Development in Rockville, MD
- Fountain Hills Mini-Storage in AZ Gets Initial Approval for Faux Palm-Tree Cell Tower