Farewell to Former Columnist
Sad news again today. Former Inside Self-Storage columnist David Fleming, who won the ISS "Manager of the Year" award in 2000, passed away on March 17th. I worked with David and his wife, Tina, for several years after we met for his awards ceremony. His bi-monthly column, "From Behind the Counter," was full of his insights from a manager in the trenches; and he had such a fantastic sense of humor, that guy. I was extremely sorry to hear of his passing—he was only 36.
I guess this is a week for tales of extraordinary people—David was certainly one. He was working at a facility in Oaks, Penn., when his path crossed with ISS. After his award, he was flooded with job offers; and he and Tina moved to upstate New York, where he worked as a manager and manager trainer for Premier Self Storage. He was eventually promoted to senior site manager, and later went on to work as director of operations for North State Storage in North Carolina.
In recent years, he had left the storage industry. But I did receive the occasional e-mail, and I know he kept up with his interest in the business. I guess his road just unfurled in another direction.
If any of you remember David and wish to honor his memory, donations can be sent to a trust for his son:
D. Chase Fleming Foundation
c/o Commerce Bank
991 S.Township Line Rd.
Royersford, PA 19468
His wife, Tina, can be reached at email@example.com. The staff of ISS extends its condolences to the Fleming Family.
- Choosing Between Self-Storage Tenant Insurance and Protection Plans: Which Is Right for Your Business?
- Valet Self-Storage Operator SquirrelBox Launches in Denver; Wins Video Contest
- Real Estate Firm 10 Federal Launches Acquisition Fund to Expand Self-Storage Facility Automation
- Fort Knox Self Storage Sends Disabled Youths to Charity Gala Ball in Melbourne, Australia
- Riverside Storage Partners Proposes 2 Self-Storage Facilities for Mt. Pleasant, SC