|The Inside Scoop|
Vote in Poll, Discuss Summer Business on Self-Storage Talk
Summer tends to be hectic at self-storage facilities. It's a popular time for tenants to want access to their boats and RVs and recreational vehicles. Likewise, with all of the new marriages and recent college graduates, people are invariably on the move this time of year, not to mention the fact that in most parts of the United States, the weather is actually conducive to moving.
All of these factors should equate to an uptick in business, but with the economy plodding through a phantom recovery, that uptick is not a certainty. This week's poll on Self-Storage Talk, the largest online community in the industry, asks members, "How Is Business This Summer Comparing With Last Year?" In early voting, it appears this summer is being kinder to facilities than last year was. But member and moderator shaekirk has an interesting take: "I think in 2009 and 2010, people were considering 'storage' a financial burden, so they emptied their units and ran for the hills. Then the length of stay became much shorter. Now, people are downsizing, or moving in with family members, so length of stay is increasing again. Business is much, much better in my corner of the [Bay Area.] I don't think it says much for the economy, though."
Let us know how things are going at your facility by voting in the completely anonymous poll. If you want to elaborate or respond to shaekirk's post, feel free to post in the discussion thread.
All posters must be registered members. To become a registered member (if you're not one already), visit http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/register.php. It's completely free and takes only a few minutes.
- Self-Storage Real Estate in the Northeast States: Experts Discuss Interest Rates and New Development
- Partnering With the Self-Storage REITs: Facility Operators Get Solutions for Management and More
- Westy Self Storage in Norwood, NJ, Provides Free Storage to Aspiring Eagle Scout, Book Drive
- BOS Container USA Releases Market Brief on Quick-Build Space for Self-Storage
- Self-Storage Directory Storage.com Announces Winners of Inaugural Scholarship Contest