|The Inside Scoop|
Vote in Poll, Discuss Summer Business on Self-Storage Talk
Summer tends to be hectic at self-storage facilities. It's a popular time for tenants to want access to their boats and RVs and recreational vehicles. Likewise, with all of the new marriages and recent college graduates, people are invariably on the move this time of year, not to mention the fact that in most parts of the United States, the weather is actually conducive to moving.
All of these factors should equate to an uptick in business, but with the economy plodding through a phantom recovery, that uptick is not a certainty. This week's poll on Self-Storage Talk, the largest online community in the industry, asks members, "How Is Business This Summer Comparing With Last Year?" In early voting, it appears this summer is being kinder to facilities than last year was. But member and moderator shaekirk has an interesting take: "I think in 2009 and 2010, people were considering 'storage' a financial burden, so they emptied their units and ran for the hills. Then the length of stay became much shorter. Now, people are downsizing, or moving in with family members, so length of stay is increasing again. Business is much, much better in my corner of the [Bay Area.] I don't think it says much for the economy, though."
Let us know how things are going at your facility by voting in the completely anonymous poll. If you want to elaborate or respond to shaekirk's post, feel free to post in the discussion thread.
All posters must be registered members. To become a registered member (if you're not one already), visit http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/register.php. It's completely free and takes only a few minutes.
- Real Estate Roundup: Self-Storage Transactions May 2016
- Man Shot at CubeSmart Self-Storage Facility in Antioch, TN
- South Africa Valet-Storage Operator SpaceBox Launches Initiatives to Improve Customer Service, Sustainability
- Fate of Friendly Fox 'Cyril' Debated at Safestore Self-Storage Facility in Wimbledon, England
- Live From the 2016 ISS Expo: Shawn Hill Discusses Financing for New and Existing Self-Storage Investors