|The Inside Scoop|
The Great Self-Storage Talk Summer Meet-Up Challenge
One of the best facets of Self-Storage Talk, the industry's largest online community, is the occassional opportunity for in-person meet-ups between people who previously had known each other only as usernames on a computer screen. Because the forum and self-storage in general is full of friendly, hard-working people, I always enjoy meeting others, which I have done numerous times at industry events. The Inside Self-Storage World Expo has been fun for me for this reason. However, relying on events means I see SST friends only twice a year, some only once, and many not at all.
That's why I'd like to try something fun as the summer travel season starts: The Great Self-Storage Talk Summer Meet-Up Challenge. As people hit the roads or skies this summer, either for fun or business, it would be great if they could arrange get-togethers with forum friends, even if it's only for a minute at someone's facility. I personally will be participating, as I'll be dropping in on moderator Madman while I'm trekking through the Pacific Northwest. Here's what to do if you want in on the fun:
- Update your SST profile location in your user control panel. Mine is set to Chicago, IL. It appears with each one of my posts.
- Post in the Summer Meet-Up Challenge thread with your vacation or traveling plans. If you think it's secure to post specific dates (because, you're right, it's not smart to broadcast to the world when you won't be home) just give general dates. (For example, "a week in late July.")
- Continue to monitor the thread to see who has posted their travel plans and to see if anyone is swinging by your way.
- If someone is headed your way, either reply in the thread or send the member a private message to arrange a get-together.
- If you successfully arrange a meetup, make sure to take a photo of the SST members hanging out and post it on the forum. I'll be sure to feature it in the monthly e-newsletter.
For fun, let's see which peripatetic members of our forum can arrange the most meet-ups. If all this talk of forums and communities seems foreign to you, or perhaps foreign and fun, check us out at www.selfstoragetalk.com. To start posting and interacting, join for free at http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/register.php. Every forum member is welcome to be part of the summer meet-up challenege. I'm looking forward to participating myself and, hopefully, to meeting more great people.
- Urban Self Storage of Seattle to Convert Belltown Facility to Hotel/Apartments
- Former Moose Lodge to Be Converted to Self-Storage in Redding, CA
- 102-Year-Old Former Boys & Girls Club Could Become Self-Storage in Worcester, MA
- Amsdell Cos./Compass Self Storage Acquires Facility in Taunton, MA
- Mixed-Use Development Projects in Charlotte, NC, to Include Self-Storage