This site is part of the Global Exhibitions Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.


Choosing Between Self-Storage Tenant Insurance and Protection Plans: Which Is Right for Your Business?


By Matt Schaller

Deciding whether to offer customers tenant insurance or a tenant-protection plan can be a tricky dilemma for many self-storage operators. To make an educated decision that’s right for your business, it’s important to understand the differences and similarities between the two products. Since the coverages offered are very similar from provider to provider, we’ll focus on program type rather than coverage conditions. Let’s take a closer look at both.

Tenant Insurance

Self-storage tenant insurance is the transfer of risk from one entity (your tenant) to another (your provider’s insurance carrier) in exchange for payment. This is a two-party contract. Payments are pooled by the insurance carrier to pay claims within the pool. The carrier is required to provide the tenant with a contract (policy) that outlines the terms of coverage and his rights under the contract.

Selling insurance requires an “agent or producer” license in all 50 states. Special “limited licenses” are available in about 19 states that have a special license class for self-storage operators, with legislation pending in a few more states. The limited license simplifies the licensing process for operators and their employees.

Along with the licensing issue, the tenant-insurance carrier must follow each state’s insurance guidelines when changing rates or commissions. Under such regulations, these items can’t be arbitrarily adjusted by the facility owner/operator who’s now an insurance agent. The provider’s carrier must submit any changes to the state’s insurance department for review and approval.

Tenant-Protection Plans

Protection plans are essentially a three-party contract. The operator and the tenant enter into a contract that becomes part of the lease agreement. The storage operator purchases a contractual-liability insurance policy to protect against exposure to financial loss brought on by the contract it executes with the tenant. The insuring agreement then indemnifies the storage operator for financial loss it sustains in an event or occurrence that damages tenant property.

The terms and conditions affording protection to the tenant are entered between the storage operator and the tenant as part of the lease agreement. Since it’s a condition of the lease, the storage operator isn’t required to be licensed. Instead, the liability policy that indemnifies the operator is the insurance and requires the agent selling the policy to the storage facility be licensed. Currently, no states forbid the sale of contractual-liability insurance policies that protect storage operators from financial loss incurred as a matter of their business practices.

Deciding on a Program

Clearly, the first parameter in deciding on a program is whether your state is a “limited licensing” state for self-storage tenant insurance. If your state doesn’t have a self-storage licensing law, you can’t legally sell insurance without an “insurance producer or agent” license from your state for each individual offering the program. If this is the case, your option is limited to protection plans or nothing at all. If you conduct business in a limited-licensing state, you’ll have to make a determination between offering insurance or a protection plan.

Paramount in your search for a provider should be whether the company is customer-oriented and will be responsive to your tenants. Remember, it’s your facility’s reputation on the line. No one will know or care about your provider or its insurance carrier. Tenants want their claims handled quickly and fairly.

« Previous12Next »
comments powered by Disqus