By Denise Michaels
What do reality star Kim Kardashian, investor mogul Warren Buffett and super attorney Gloria Allred have in common (besides money)? They’re all media darlings. When they want the world to know what they’re doing, people listen. When they have a new offering or want you to know about something they’re doing, the headlines flash, video cameras roll and, within hours, everyone knows what they want us to know about them. Wouldn’t it be great to have that same ability to command headlines and tell people about your self-storage business—without the paparazzi, the need for rehab or some other embarrassing incident?
Knowing how to build your platform of fans and customers is an essential part of creating a business people will notice this year and beyond. It’s how books become No. 1 on the bestseller’s lists, how bloggers with a business drive sales into hyperspace, or how products like the Missoni line of designer fashions at Target are snapped up and sell out in a few hours. Below are seven secrets to help you get noticed and be seen as influential when you want to get the word out about your self-storage business.
1. Your presence on social-networking platforms is essential. Connect with the movers and shakers who you want to know you. You can add comments, start a group of followers or develop a fan page. Don’t know what to say? Share what you’re doing in a compelling way. There’s only one degree of separation with social networking. Post daily and build a fan base.
2. Conduct business with integrity and honesty—not for a quick buck. In this new era of citizen media, disgruntled customers can spin out of control and destroy your reputation faster than you can say “Twitter.” Trust is critical to your success in the post-Bernie Madoff environment. Take care of customers and let them go online with a positive story about your business, not a negative one.
3. Get comfortable with media including radio, television, print and online sources. Surprisingly, radio is an unsung hero because you have an opportunity to tell listeners how to connect with you. Print can be powerful, too. Professional trade journals are usually crying out for fresh articles for their eager readers. If you’re uncomfortable with this strategy, remember that every day you own a business is like the biggest kick-butt seminar you’ll ever attend. Be willing to stretch.
4. Tap into public speaking. This is great way to position yourself as an expert or an authority in your field. The minute you stand in front of a room full of people you’re automatically seen as an expert. Develop a sense of humor or at least memorize a few jokes. People are more open to new ideas right after a good chuckle. If speaking makes you uncomfortable consider joining a Toastmasters International group for practice and constructive support.
5. Discover ways to keep up your energy level or “chi.” You can work 24/7 and never get everything done. Learn to delegate things to others who are better suited and love to do the tasks you don’t have to do. Building up your success only to crash and burn a year or two later is no fun.
6. Use short videos to share helpful tips and ideas about your expertise and how you help customers. Or tell people about exciting events coming up in your self-storage business. Don’t be afraid to share your successes when they happen. Let your enthusiasm and passion for what you love shine. Upload them to a platform like YouTube and share them all over the Web.
7. Share your story of success. Do this in a way that’s emotionally compelling and helps people relate to you and what you’re all about. If you’re a positive person, generally you want to forget the tough times. But that’s where your ideal customer is at right now, in need of your product or service. There’s a way to craft your story so you come across as a person who has overcome obstacles and who can relate to their concerns now.
These seven keys provide the broad brushstrokes to becoming an overnight sensation. Of course, an “overnight sensation” is really a person who’s worked hard for years, and then it appears they suddenly burst upon the scene. When you harness and leverage these secrets, you’ll be well on your way to commanding the influence and positive attention that will help your business grow successfully.
Author Denise Michaels offers a workshop, “Occupy Your Life … NOW!” and teaches business owners ways to embrace the skills to become influential and an overnight sensation. For more information, visit www.denisemichaels.com.