Two schools of the exact same size and design were constructed similarly and have the same HVAC equipment, with thermostats controlled at the same place. However, one school was able to save more than $10,000 on its annual cooling costs. How?
The difference lies in the coatings of the schools’ roof systems. Baggett Elementary and Poole Elementary in Dallas, Ga., are near identical, right down to their forest green roof panels. The only difference is the panels at Baggett are standard PVDF, with a total solar reflectance value (TSR) of 12 percent. Poole, in contrast, has infrared-resistant PVDF pigments with a TSR value of 29 percent.
This led to vastly different results.Poole’s annual net savings is more than $10,000 because of an added TSR of 17 percent, which equates to a projected savings of $350,000 during the school’s 35-year expected lifecycle. These savings were confirmed in a thorough study by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. In addition, the added TSR didn’t jeopardize the school’s ability to meet district appearance requirements.
Why Use Cool?
Self-storage owners using a PVDF coating rather than a bare galvanized finish on climate-controlled facilities can achieve savings of 50 percent or more on cooling costs. Here are some more advantages:
- Considered the most energy-efficient coating system on the market
- Reflects more of the sun’s rays to produce cooler indoor temperatures
- Meets many Energy Star requirements
- Can add to facility aesthetics
- Generates lower environmental temperatures to help reduce smog
- 100 percent recyclable
- Increases fire-resistance
- Complements other building products such as stucco or concrete
- Maintains gloss and color
- Comes in exceptional colors that stay true for years to come
When building or remodeling your self-storage facility, consider cool panels to reduce energy costs and save money.
Wes Brooker is the marketing development manager for American Buildings Co., a Eufaula, Ala., manufacturer of custom-engineered steel-building systems. The company produces metal roof and wall systems, components and accessories for the low-rise, non-residential, metal-building industry. For more information, call 888.307.4338; visit www.americanbuildings.com.