Print Yellow Pages seems to elicit the least amount of excitement of all the advertising mediums. It doesn’t have the sex appeal of TV or the Internet, yet it still delivers the greatest number of new customers to storage facilities.
As a facility owner or manager, you probably spend the lion’s share of your advertising budget on print Yellow Pages. Doesn’t it make sense to know who you spend that money to reach? Who searches through the directory, reads the ads, and decides which business is worth a phone call?
Introducing … Your Customers
To introduce you to your customers, here is the most current data from Knowledge Networks/SRI. It will help you understand what they need and how to deliver it.
- 72 percent of people referencing the “Storage” heading are female.
- They look at an average of 5.5 ads.
- 45 percent are married.
- 63 percent are between the ages of 25 and 49.
- 64 percent are high school graduates or have attended college.
- 52 percent are college graduates.
- 71 percent earn between $10,000 and $60,000 per year.
- 75 percent have a computer at home.
- 68 percent of those with computers are online subscribers.
- 60 percent indicated looking at a local storage business as opposed to a large national company.
Knowledge Is Power
Now, let’s use the above information to design an ad that will drive a customer to call you instead of a competitor:
Gender. If almost three-quarters of Yellow Pages consumers searching the “Storage” heading are female, your ad should artistically appeal to women. Plus, women are detail-oriented, so specific information about the facility has to be included. Blending the two means the layout has to be attractive, clean and easy to read—not crowded, yet still informative.
Women are looking for a “solution,” and they will be more discerning shoppers than men. That’s why they look at a higherthan- average number of ads in this heading. Give them answers to their questions, and they will beat a path to your door.
How do you know their questions? Ask them. Survey your customers to find out what is most important to them in a storage facility. Then make sure those points are featured in your Yellow Pages ad.